Buying an older house with old style septic system

Quinten

I am thinking about buying this old house in my town, but it isn't connected to the sewer system and has an old septic tank. What should I do to modernize the sewer system for it if I am to get it? Will it cost a lot to upgrade it? 

Edited by Quinten
  • Like 1

• Quinten changed the title to Buying an older house with old style septic system

We live in a house with a septic tank. To get it updated with a new tank, it would cost you around $5,000 depending on where you live. Getting rid of the septic and getting the home hooked up to city water and sewage would be around the same but will be around 10% more on average. This was when I looked into things 7+ years ago so things might be different now.

• Like 1

Yeah septic tanks aren't bad, just gotta make sure to keep an eye on them like James said. As well, you want to be sure to upgrade once in a while as well. I heard though that septic tanks are cheaper in the long run, because you don't have to pay the city or state anything extra. 

• Like 1

Septic is often a blessing, especially if the city water is having issues. You have to make sure to use the right TP and have it cleaned out. I think they recommend getting it fully replaced every 10 to 15 years but they are built to last longer these days. 

• Like 1