If you don't need to pay taxes under 22k, why do they have to be reported?

In my state, a married person is able to bring in 22K before they will be taxed on this money yet they are expected to still report it at the end of the year. I am confused as to why this needs to be done. If you are not going to be taxed as a married individual, why then does the IRS need to file this information on you? 

• Like 1

Yup, I think it's something like, if you make more than $600 in a year, anything above that, must be claimed on your taxes. Honestly I just claim every bit I earn just in case they need every detail. You can probably get away with being paid in cash. As I know some people are "Paid under the table" for their work. Even that technically is supposed to be included, but you don't have to because there's no record of it. Unless there is, in which case you will need to include that pay when you file. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I never understood this but that is the government for you. They like to know where your money is. So much of the financial system and setup in the US is a mess and it is thanks to the government being too big. States need to take back their power. 

• Like 1