How To Overcome Passivity

TopicStarter

I have known passivity for a long time now, and it used to make me procrastinate for hours on end. However, there is a way out. 

Some friends had warned me about it before, but I would avoid anything that could lead to failure, which affected my productivity. There are times when you might also feel like doing nothing, and you end up living life half-heartedly. Projects and goals take a backseat, and you are not certain about any of your plans. 

Now that you are reading this, I am sure you want to make a change. Read on to understand the different ways that could help out in the long run. 

#1 Understanding your behavior: First of all, you have to understand your behavior. For example, you may feel down from colleagues putting you down too often, or there may be a lack of encouragement from the near and dear ones. 

On the other hand, there may not be a definite cause at all, and you may still end up procrastinating throughout the day. Whatever the reason is, find it and write it out. Then see if those reasons are actually valid. If not, then it is time to make a change. 

#2 Learning to stand up for yourself: One of the top ways to overcome passivity is to be more assertive in a respectful manner. You need to stand up for yourself anytime the situation arises. Also, ensure that your opinion or thought is counted. To do that, you will need to be more aware of what is happening around you, which will also bring down the long periods of procrastination. 

#3 Maintaining a journal: Now, this is not a one-day process, and you will often find yourself feeling lazy or wanting to fall back. Hence, maintain a journal where you can note down everything that comes to your mind. 

List down your thoughts and plans every day and keep track of your long-term goal. Once you have it in front of your eyes, try making small changes every day to achieve that. 

#4 Constant motivation: Try not to depend on another person to feel motivated. Instead, invest in being your own well-wisher and keep a focus on future goals. However, do not set unrealistic goals, as that could bring down your confidence further. Take tiny steps to achieve something that is possible, and you will slowly see a change in yourself. 

Has passivity been something you have had to overcome? What steps did you take to get better at being less passive?

• Like 1