How To Overcome Intimidation

TopicStarter

Have you ever thought about what makes you feel intimidated? In my case, I first felt the real blows of intimidation in my senior year at high school. It seemed that everyone was ready to embrace the transition to college, but I failed to catch up with them. 

There were several times when the heavy feeling of intimidation took over me, and all I wanted was to remain at home. However, I soon realized that if I let the dread take over my life, I wouldn't be able to go forward with anything. 

So, I decided to push aside the thoughts of feeling intimidated by my peers and continued with school. But, I am aware that it might not be the easiest thing to achieve, especially when you feel weighed by your responsibilities. Hence, here are a few tips to help you overcome intimidation: 

#1 Stop comparing yourself with others: if you have the unhealthy habit of comparing yourself with others, then it's time to put an end to it. Instead, take a paper and write down the things that intimidate you, then ask yourself if they're true. Find your strengths and start challenging the negative thoughts to avoid feeling intimidated. 

#2 Find your confidence: this may sound like a cliché, but believe me when I say that finding my confidence was the foremost thing that helped me get over intimidation. All I did was practice saying the phrase “I am powerful and confident” over and over again. Just remember to find a way that enables you to accept your confidence. 

#3 Interact with others who feel the same: while dealing with the intimidation issues, I learned that you're never the only one. Open up to your friends or find a community where you can meet others who deal with similar problems. Along with letting you humanize the situation, it also lets you gain a fresh perspective on the challenges of intimidation. 

#4 Weed out toxic people: it may sound harsh, but I truly believe that some people will try to drag you down. So, identify those people and let them go from your life. At the same time, it's also necessary to work on friendships that might have been disturbed by your issues with intimidation.

#5 Seek help: at times, the only thing you can do to stop these feelings is to find help, and you shouldn't feel ashamed of it. So, consider meeting a counselor or a life coach to fight the evil thoughts of intimidation.

Intimidation is a fear a lot of have felt. What steps did you take to overcome being intimidated? 

• Like 1