Is it even worth doing word of mouth advertising anymore?

Justin89

I suppose word of mouth advertising helps in some regards, but I feel it doesn't do enough to draw people in. Sure you may be able to draw friends, family and locals to your site, but for how long? And how do you expect to keep them coming back? Word of mouth can help, but I feel social media and online advertising is the way to go. Sure putting an add in the local paper could help, but who reads newspapers anymore? The internet is where people's attentions are, so advertising there is probably best. 

• Like 1

Referrals are the best kind of marketing / advertising you can get for your company. 

Anytime you have a happy enough customer to tell someone else about your offering you have won. These customers convert at the highest rate. 

When I think of word of mouth I think about the organic activity of a consumer being happy enough about their experience to share it with their friends and family. You likely do this all the time in day to day life with your friends and family. It is one of the methods to discover products or new places to go. 

It applies to every business too. Even content writers 🙂

I am constantly sharing information with other webmasters about products, services, and so forth. People talk and you want them talking about whatever your product is. You do not get to force this to happen it is just one of the positive side effects of doing great work and offering a great product. 

• Like 1

Like James mentioned, you can apply this to just about anything. If someone is happy with your product or service, they will talk about it with other people. It is always a good idea to leave a physical business card when you can for this reason. If you only work with online services, establish good relationships with your clients by adjusting to their schedule, giving them discounts, and showing them you are reliable. If anyone is seeking the same service, they will be recommending you. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stacey said:

Like James mentioned, you can apply this to just about anything. If someone is happy with your product or service, they will talk about it with other people. It is always a good idea to leave a physical business card when you can for this reason. If you only work with online services, establish good relationships with your clients by adjusting to their schedule, giving them discounts, and showing them you are reliable. If anyone is seeking the same service, they will be recommending you. 

In our ecommerce project we made it easy for our customers to share with their friends and family. Every order would get free product that the customer would all ready have and we would send a note thanking them and telling them we gave them a free goodie to share with their friends and family. We also would put 5 business cards into every package. This worked REALLY well.