Printing stickers?

Emma

So this is something I am considering. A lot of people make custom stickers for planners and such and sell them on etsy. I think if the cost balances out good, it could be a good small business. I am just not sure how much the printer for stickers would cost or the paper and ink. It seems like ink is very expensive these days. Anyone know anything about this?

• Like 1

Stickers sounds like fun, but do you have any designs ideas planned out? In order to make anything, you will probably want to make a bunch of designs for your stickers. As for printer ink, yeah, it's always expensive. Especially if you want higher quality paint to put out better quality stickers. 

• Like 1

Aren't there printers specifically for printing stickers and labels because they have to be precut? I could bet you those don't come cheap! Still, if you could manage to make money off of it and it is something you enjoy, I'd say go for it. Just make sure you can earn back what you put into it within the first quarter. 

• Like 1

There are special printers for printing out stickers that you can purchase. 

I have purchased a lot of custom stickers over the years as they typically make great promotional material. I started with Vistaprint and as my volumes went up to 1000s of sticks in a order I switched to a local printer that was able to save me some cash. 

I have never really looked at it from the point of view of the service provider but I would assume with a product like this the margins are going to be pretty tight. 

There are likely some really niche stickers you can get into though that may be able to provide higher margin but likely a much smaller audience of buyers. 

Find the printer you want which will be a one time cost then look into the material cost of sticker paper, and ink. Figure out how long it costs to make a sticker and then you know how much it costs you for a sticker. Try applying a 100% markup would that sticker be able to sell on the marketplace?