Using a metal detector to find treasures

Rachel

Yes I know this kinda sounds dumb, but I am serious. I think it'd be fun to get a good metal detector, so that I can go around my town and start searching for old coins and other metal things. I figure if I find certain metals, I can recycle them. And if I find jewelry, and other things, I can sell them for cash. 

I've always wanted to take this up as a hobby, but haven't pushed forward with it. I think it's finally time I do. I want to invest into a good metal detector, one that can read what the metal is and predict what it is. A high tech one for sure. 

• Like 1

I have a friend, well... It is a family friend who owns two of them and uses them all the time at the beach and in the park. He lives in Florida and you'd be surprised by what he finds down there. I think this is due to the storms washing stuff up on the shore and misplacing items people have lost.

• Like 1

Sounds like an alright side hustle and a good way to stay moving at the same time. 

If you enjoy using a metal detector and finding treasure why not try to monetize it in someway. 

If you didn't want to sell your collection of products you could also monetize this in plenty of other ways:

Start a blog / YouTube channel reviewing metal detectors
Write a eBook about how to be the best at metal detecting
Hold local classes for other people that may be interested in the same hobby
Build an online class on how to use a metal detector in the best way

Lot's of different ways to build an audience around the topic and make some cash while you are out having fun. 

I think it can be worth it if you live in the right area for it. Around where I live, it would be useless. Anything related to jewelry that gets lost, the birds will just nab up. We have a lot of those crows (or ravens, I can't remember which one it is) and they actually collect shiny items they find. A friend had one of her ankle bracelets taken offer her pool deck by one lol

• Like 1