Working past my invisible fears?

Scarlett

So I have had anxiety since I was about 15 years old. This ended up becoming panic attacks shortly after I turned 20. I ended up having to drop out of college because they became too severe. I also stopped driving around the same time since I felt unsafe, thinking I could have one and be behind the wheel. It scared me! So it has been almost 8 years since this happened and I am still struggling with anxiety and the invisible fears of when my next panic attack will be. I have maybe 10 a year, sometimes less, sometimes more. I hate it. How can I work past this because I know it is mostly a mind game and my brain is causing my body to react this way (in flight or fight mode). 

My wife has the same issue from time to time. 

I suggested to her when the panic attacks start instead of doing what she normally does during that time to start a breathing exercise or a meditation or do some yoga. Something that can help reconnect you. 

I do not think the anxiety can go away depending on why it is there. I know there have been some studies that show genetics play a role. 

So if we know that this is going to happen we have to accept that. So the way to treat the problem is acknowledge you are having a panic attack. Now you need to accept the fact it is happening. Then finally instead of reacting with fear go to a different response. Instead of thinking "im going crazy!" think something more positive like "these feelings will pass" "i am strong" "i will conquer this". 

This should help you remain in control of the situation which overtime since you understand how to control it when it happens it should not be something you are afraid of anymore. 

• Like 1

I know it sounds silly but when you learn to accept anxiety and the panic attacks, they start to become less severe over time. The reason being is because you start to convince your body and your mind there is no danger. There was a show I used to watch where this guy would take people out of their comfort zones. Worked a lot with panic prone and OCD people. He basically forced them, in a way, do confront their fears and the more they did it, the easier it got. 

• Like 1