How to reconnect with old family members?

Ella

I have some cousins I would really like to get back in touch with. I remember having so much fun when we were kids playing games and stuff at each other's houses. It has been a good 20 years since I have seen them though. I am not sure why we stopped talking, I guess we just grew separate ways into our teen years. How can I reconnect and not make it weird? 

• Like 1

The easiest way to tackle something you do not know how to tackle is to just do it. Pick up the phone and give them a call and see where that leads. The best way to reconnect would be a live conversation and the phone is the best medium for that. Since you have not seen them in so long on that phone call if they are local try to setup a breakfast or lunch. Those are shorter meals incase there is a hidden reason why you are no longer communicating you will not be stuck for to long if things go sideways. 

I agree with James. If you don't want to do the phone call yourself, have a family member you are closer with mention something to them and see what they say through someone else. I mean I know it can be hard making the first move when you haven't seen someone in years. I was struggling with this with an old friend of mine. I ended up sending her an e-mail out of the blue with my cell phone number. She didn't respond. A few months went buy and I got a call from her. She said that had she seen the e-mail sooner she would have called. Turns out, she lost my number years ago and never got it back. 

• Like 1