Learning new languages in order to better your skills for work

Quinten

I am thinking about learning more languages just so that I can be ready for just about anything. I want to learn Spanish, Chinese and eventually French and Japanese. I would like to learn all of these languages to expand my work into other countries. I don't want to rely on tech or books to speak the tongue. I want to be able to do it myself. Anyway, do you think this is a good way to advance in work in general? 

• Like 1

Spanish is a good one to know if you live in the US. Chinese is increasingly becoming beneficial to learn as well. French and Japanese are likely good to know but not so much from a business standpoint unless you want to work with Japanese tech companies. 

• Like 1

If you are good at what you do of course it can help advance you. 

I know quite a few people that typically speak 2-3 languages. Personally I will stick to English as its hard enough for me 😛. I took spanish in high school. Made it to the second level but without consistent practice it has faded away over the last 20 years. 

I think for the language you want to learn it really is going to depend on what you want to do and where you live. 

You will add value to your portfolio for sure. I think it is only a matter of time though because most people know some English. I think something to consider is what you mentioned, that is learning Chinese. Politics aside (I don't much like the CCP), China is expanding more every year so knowing Chinese might help you out in the near future. 

• Like 1

I think it'd be cool to learn other languages so I can work in other countries even. I only know English myself and I have wanted to learn a new language for a long time. Sadly I don't think my brain can handle the learning process these days. At least not with learning a new language. 

• Like 1