What are some safer options for those looking to get into the food industry?

Mila

2020 showed us how unstable the food industry could be. Restaurants were closing left and right, shortages of food, issues with contamination, and so on. 

For someone wanting to get into the food industry this year or the next, what are some safer options in terms of business plans and ideas?

• Like 1

A McDonalds franchise I would think is the safest investment into the food industry you can make. They have continued to appeal to consumers through thick and thin and whatever health fad is currently taking place. 

I have thought about it plenty of times and said eventually people should not want fast food anymore. How wrong can I be? Fast food demand stays steady and they continue to clean up their offerings with higher quality product. 

If I was going to go at it without a franchisor to back me up I would likely go with a simple concept like pizza, or chicken wings. Keep the options as small as possible and do whatever I chose the best I could. Keep the SKU count low so you can focus on the things you do best. 

The food industry has always scared me and even though a Pizza place has been on my list of things I would love to have as part of the portfolio I have yet to pull the trigger and pick one up. 

It just seems to my food places come and go so often that it seems a bit risky. Start up costs are typically pretty high because of all the kitchen equipment. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A bit late to this! I am only just now seeing it. I must have overlooked the alert that someone responded. Whoops! 

What you said makes sense. Sticking with something that gives you realistic profits and goals where you know you will have business is a huge deal. 

• Like 1