Would you ever adopt a problem child?

Rachel

Would you ever adopt a child who is considered a problem or a troublemaker? I think everyone deserves a home, and even the problematic children. If anything, they may need a home more than anyone else. 

My husband and I have discussed the idea of adopting, and I kinda want to adopt a child that has had problems his/her whole life. I just want to give someone a great home and make them happy. 

But, would you adopt a child that is known for being a problem? I think my husband and I are pretty chill, and I think for the most part, we wouldn't be too strict on him/her. But we'd still set ground rules and all that. 

• Like 1

Yes if I did not have 4 kids of my own we likely would be adopting children. 

Trouble children would not scare us but I guess we only know that now from being parents. 

Most of the time when kids misbehave and cause trouble it is just their way of seeking attention. If you bring a child into a home with a solid structured routine, easy to follow rules and guidelines, and give support where needed that problem child likely will no longer be a problem. 

Kids need rules, structure, and guidance. It gives them a way to operate and teaches them one of the most basic fundamentals which is building a routine. 

• Like 1

Right now, I don't think I could handle it but I would not turn away a child who needs love. Like James said, a lot of times kids act out because they want attention or they need some sort of emotional fulfillment. Kids aren't as in-tune with their emotions and often can't make connections between lashing out and feeling left out. 

• Like 1

I don't think I could handle it. I would feel bad because I know I would regret the adoption and the stress of trying not to let the child feel that from me would eat me away. If it is my own child, that is different because they had been with me the entire time. Adopting a kid from a background I will never be 100% about is a huge risk. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...