Have you ever had a customer who became a troll?

Rachel

The internet is the wild wild west, and customers can use it anyway they please. There are tons of review sites out there where people can rate and review businesses, restaurants and other such businesses. But, there are times where you get bad reviews that are just wrong or rude and offensive. Have you ever had to deal with a troll who gave you a bad review? Maybe he's joining your site to cause a fuss, or maybe he/she is trying to make your life hell. 

I've dealt with trolls similar to this in the past. A person joined a site I worked on, and they didn't have a system in place to protect against people signing up multiple accounts. So one guy made a ton and spammed the site. Banning him would do nothing, as it kept him coming in. They eventually fixed the error, and he wasn't able to get in again, but it was quite annoying. Anyway, have you dealt with trolls and annoying customers/people like this? 

• Like 1

Yes in our ecommerce project the people over at Reddit used to love us. Until they didnt. At first we started out trying to defend and justify the actions we were taking but then we learned as long as we are keeping a majority of the customers happy there is no point in really putting much focus on these end cases. 

There are some people that call on the phone where our customer service representatives know exactly who it is and exactly what they are going to complain about. It is crazy how much time some of these people have to try to make our teams jobs harder. 

Eventually we finally decided to stop focusing on the trolls and go back to focusing on what we were able to control which was delivering quality products at an affordable price as quickly as the shipping services would allow. 

I think customers feel like they can hold a business hostage with negative reviews and they do hurt. You just need to get more positive reviews to drown out their noise. 

For the ecommerce project it got bad when we started tracking complaints and realizing that some customers were stealing from us via our customer service team. When we implemented our three strike and we would no longer sell to you policy once again reddit went mad. We stopped posting on reddit around that same time and what was interesting was there was no change in gross sales. 

Cant please everyone and it seems some people will complain just to complain or try to get free stuff even though nothing bad happened. I feel sometimes customers forget that businesses have to make money too so we can pay our teams fairly so they are all happy. 

When I was selling items on etsy, I had someone who ordered from me and was not happy about what they received. I did give them a full refund but they kept bothering me. They ended up finding out my other social accounts and were basically stalking me online. They caused issues for me on my websites, social accounts, etc. 

This is why I think it is important to make sure you REALLY separate your personal online accounts from your business ones. 

• Like 1

I've dealt with trolls as a few sites I've worked on in the past. Majority of the time they bug off pretty quickly, but I encountered some trolls that just wouldn't leave me alone. They would spam me, find my socials and more. It was annoying. 

That's the sad truth of the internet though. You're going to encounter garbage humans who will act like fools for dumb reasons. You have to learn to deal with them the best you can. I block everyone who bothers me too much. 

1 hour ago, Sophia said:

When I was selling items on etsy, I had someone who ordered from me and was not happy about what they received. I did give them a full refund but they kept bothering me. They ended up finding out my other social accounts and were basically stalking me online. They caused issues for me on my websites, social accounts, etc. 

This is why I think it is important to make sure you REALLY separate your personal online accounts from your business ones. 

Yup, never connect your personal accounts to anything work related. Otherwise you're going to have problems. 

• Like 2

I used to work at a convenience store and had to deal with customers face to face a lot. I've dealt with my fair share of annoying customers. But there was this one guy who would come into our store daily, and act like a child. He would come to the store, and watch the women for a while. We would notice him walking the isles a lot and he would sometimes talk to the women and creep them out. He started to grab the women that would stop in, so we had to kick him out. 

Well, that didn't solve the issue right away, he would keep coming by and we'd have to shoo him out. We'd tell him we'd call the cops on him if he doesn't leave and all that. It didn't help for a while, but when we finally did call the cops, be booked it down the street. He slowly stopped coming in, but whenever we'd threaten him with calling the cops, he'd be out of there. I guess he got arrested one of the times and I heard he was scared to go back. But yeah, he was a massive troll for a while, would come in, bother everyone, make a fuss and then leave and come back another day. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...