Fears of illnesses?

Mila

Anyone else have issues with this? I am not so much afraid to die.. I am more afraid of suffering. The thought of having something like cancer scares me so anytime my body feels a bit off or I feel something I never felt before, it really freaks me out. How can I get to a point where I don't panic over stuff like this?

• Like 1

This falls into the category of not stressing over something you can not control. 

Of course you can help yourself not get ill so taking the prevention measures is important. 

Eat a healthy diet and get plenty of exercise. Outside of that it likely falls outside of your control so instead of focusing on the things you can not control turn that focus back towards your self and keep building on your healthy lifestyle routine. 

• Like 1

I grew up with similar fears, but I've kind of grown out of that, because lately I don't worry as much. Still, if I hear about some rare disease or something, I do think about it and whether or not I had symptoms for it. It's a weird thing to worry about, but it's part of life. 

There's always a chance you get a rare condition or something random happens. But I think worrying about the unknown, will just stress you out more and cause even more health issues. 

• Like 1

Just focus on taking care of yourself and doing what you can to make healthy choices every day. Most things are easily cured these days and when you look at the amount of people who suffer and die from illnesses, it is very low when you account for the total population. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 2:44 AM, Mila said:

Anyone else have issues with this? I am not so much afraid to die.. I am more afraid of suffering. The thought of having something like cancer scares me so anytime my body feels a bit off or I feel something I never felt before, it really freaks me out. How can I get to a point where I don't panic over stuff like this?

I get your feeling. And i will just add to what @Jameshas said. In stoicism, we are advised to stop worrying abou things that are outside our control. All we can do is to practice health habits to keep our body fit to fight diseases. But whether we get ill or not, is outside our control. 

• Like 2

On 8/16/2021 at 3:40 PM, CyberTron said:

I get your feeling. And i will just add to what @Jameshas said. In stoicism, we are advised to stop worrying abou things that are outside our control. All we can do is to practice health habits to keep our body fit to fight diseases. But whether we get ill or not, is outside our control. 

Certain things are in our control. Illnesses that are brought on by bad diets, stress, ect. but I don't think we will get to a point where people are truly understand this and wanting to change until doctors stop providing pills and excuses for everything. Pills, surgery, etc. should be last resort. Diet changes and lifestyle changes should be done first. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...