How To Overcome Jealousy In Friendship

TopicStarter

Do negative thoughts come to your mind every time your best friend talks about another friend in her life? This feeling of jealousy can be detrimental to the relationship, and it is time to do something about it. 

Remember that jealousy generally tends to stem from excessive expectations and can eat you up inside. But I know how difficult it can be to let go of this feeling, and hence, I have some tips here that can help you out. 

#1 Determining the root of the issue: it is very important to find out where the root of your problems lies. Do you feel that your friend has a better career or a love life? Jealousy can often stem from insecurities about your relations and career. 

That, in turn, can affect your friendship with the other person. Please remember you need to create your own path and get a better job if necessary. It involves working on yourself rather than feeling inferior to your friend. 

#2 Checking negative thoughts: negative thoughts can go a long way in affecting your judgment, and you might always be perceiving the worst. Keeping a check on them will help in keeping bitter thoughts away. Encourage yourself to think about the positive aspects of the friendship and even the smallest good memory that you both might have shared. 

#3 Talk about it: I always believe in sharing and talking about issues rather than ignoring them. If the other person loves you, he/she will be willing to have a conversation to hear about the issues bothering you.

Moreover, talking can help solve a lot of problems much more easily, and it can even help your bond get stronger. Celebrate your friendship and every little detail that makes you happy. This will help both of you connect better and get a broader perspective on the matter. 

#4 Self Care: last but not least, focus on your life and the goals that you want to achieve. Aim for a better job or a relationship that you can truly enjoy. This will help you get over the insecurities and also better your chances of having a good future. 

The end goal is to be at peace with where you are standing in your life. And once that is achieved, you will have a healthier and much more satisfying connection with your bestie. 

What are some methods you use to overcome jealousy? 

• Like 2

When I was younger I had issues like this with a few of my friends and I found this was down to being too competitive. They both brought this out of me by being competitive themselves. It is hard to not do this when someone else is doing it. I have since cut both friends from my life and I am happier because of it. I have no issues with any other friends I have. 

• Like 1

Idea #1 is on point. We are usually treating the symptoms of the problem and not the root. Jelousy comes from deep in our heart. And it is entrenched in how we think, and how we percieve of others. Learning to appreciate what others have, and thanking for the little we have will help. 

• Like 1