Why is it harder for an adult to learn how to swim vs a child?

Sophia

I have always found this fascinating! I know a few adults who do not know how to swim and they are too terrified to learn but a child who is much smaller and much more prone to drowning will face this fear and learn. In many cases, they will learn in just a few hours! Why do you think it is harder for adults? Is there some kind of fear complex that children don't have?

• Like 1

Kids learn faster then adults. 

I really think its because they do not have preconceived notions about how something is supposed to be. They also are less aware of the risks and will be more willing to take a leap of faith. 

Now as they get older and learn about what happens when things go wrong they do start to have the same fear as many adults. I started noticing my boys become much more cautious around the age of 12. They still are not afraid of things they are passionate about but watching them doing obstacle courses at the gym you can see where they have trouble trying to attempt some of the obstacles and they freeze. 

When they are younger though I think they just do and do not worry about what will come if things go wrong. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 4:43 PM, James said:

Kids learn faster then adults. 

This is true for most thing. Kids also have a better ability to retain knowledge and build off patterns. This is why it is so important to encourage children from a very young age to want to learn and keep learning new things. 

• Like 1

Yeah, kids are in the stage of development where their brains eat things up. As an adult, I think it's tougher to learn new things. Main reason, I believe most adults just don't have the time to devote to learning new things. Sure they could spend some time reading about something or looking into a certain subject online, but it's easier said than done. As an adult, I honestly don't care to go out researching stuff like I used to because I have enough on my plate already. 

If I had more time, I would consider learning something else. 

• Like 1

I guess it is because the kids mind is still fresh, and free from stress. Because its needs are taken care of by someone else, so they can easily concentrate on an activity compared to adults. Plus, it is easier for children to practice a new habit or routine since their brain and body are more flexible that that of an adult. 

• Like 1