How Sensationalist Modern Media Is Making YOU Sick

James

Are you sick of how the news media is sensationalizing the stories they show us?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Are you sick of how the news media is sensationalizing the stories they show us?

• Yes
    • No

This video will introduce to you the idea that modern media is making us sick. We are not only over-consuming information, but we're also consuming it in a way that makes our body's immune system go into overdrive and attack itself. This video gives you some ideas for how to cure yourself of this "sickness" by changing your media diet and giving you some tips on how to beat the sickness!

I was browsing around YouTube and stumbled across this video. This is a topic I have been thinking about a lot lately as I feel it is becoming extremely blatant that the modern-day big news and social media players are spreading fear and shutting down the free flow of ideas. 

This is concerning not only for the quality of life in your own personal life but also on a much bigger scale. It's not hard to see that many social media and news outlets are actually running campaigns and simply trying to manipulate people into believing what they want them to believe, as opposed to showing you all sides of a story or even just letting you come up with your own opinion.

It has been proven over and over again that when people are scared, they will stop thinking for themselves and simply do anything to feel safe again. It gets to the point where even smart people become stupid about certain things. We as human beings have a need to feel safe, it's not a bad thing in itself, but the problem lies in trying to achieve it when we cannot.

You may think you have seen it all when reading this but I assure you, there is an endless stream of even more outrageous and shocking things that are always happening.

How do we fix this? 

One thing that we can all do is try to be more open-minded. Just because an article or a video makes you angry doesn't mean it's not true. Try to see the other side of every story and don't jump to conclusions before actually researching for yourself.

Seek out information from all sources available to you.

I really feel there has been a strong lack of consideration to looking at all sides of an issue and that is the primary problem. We are viewing our problems through just one lens when in reality for every action there is always a reaction. Those possible reactions should always be evaluated before making a decision. 

What steps as a society do you think we need to take to start to correct this issue?

• Like 1

Have you noticed how big of a shift we have seen in just the last 10 years? I was just talking to my husband about this. Around the time Twitter became mainstream is when things started to get bad. A lot of people who were not accustomed to socializing online started using social platforms. I have been part of forums since 2004 so I kind of grew up with it in a sense. But for a lot of people, this was not the case. This is why I think people are so nasty to each other online. Not to mention the amount of fake news and exaggerated news out there with its only purpose being to make us angry or upset. If Twitter alone got shut down tomorrow, I could bet you in just 2 or 3 months time, we would see a huge improvement with health (mental/emotional) and general happiness in a lot of people. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ella said:

Have you noticed how big of a shift we have seen in just the last 10 years? I was just talking to my husband about this. Around the time Twitter became mainstream is when things started to get bad. A lot of people who were not accustomed to socializing online started using social platforms. I have been part of forums since 2004 so I kind of grew up with it in a sense. But for a lot of people, this was not the case. This is why I think people are so nasty to each other online. Not to mention the amount of fake news and exaggerated news out there with its only purpose being to make us angry or upset. If Twitter alone got shut down tomorrow, I could bet you in just 2 or 3 months time, we would see a huge improvement with health (mental/emotional) and general happiness in a lot of people. 

I started to notice this as the social media platforms got more and more popular. I think I switched to making an annual Facebook post once a year about 5 or so years ago because things were just getting horrible out there. 

I love forums and have been using them since Usenet (now i feel really old). Forums have taught me everything I know about internet marketing and have provided a great way for me to meet new and interesting people. With forums though it is easier to understand who to trust and who is full of garbage. 

Social media is just to easy and people always saying things that are on their mind which is fine but people can be really mean. 

The news media has not been helping. 

Now we have all this talk about filtering out "misinformation" who is defining that? What happened to the free flow of discussion and different view points around a topic or idea. 

It is something that has bugged me for a long time now which is why this community is here. I wanted to start a way to spread positive messaging and allow the free flow of ideas and concepts. I want to connect with people that understand they have to make sacrifices to get what they want. People that understand that the secret to success is just the discipline to grind it out. To hopefully show others that you do not need to be a slave to the corporations and you can build your own life. If you enjoy working for others there are plenty of people out there that will treat you way more fair then any of the mega corporations. 

There is just so much greed. Yes money is what motivated me to break away from working for others and to build my own dreams so I could work on my time and my terms but in the end I realized it was not what made us happy or made us feel more fulfilled. 

So that is why this platform is here and I hope I can keep this community non toxic as it grows. 

• Like 1

Social media and the internet as a whole is to blame, because it makes everything so accessible. You can find news literally the second it happens today. That's crazy to think. We have every details thrown at us at every given minute and it's a chore to deal with. I don't even bother looking at the news much anymore. I watch my local news, and that's it, literally. I have no interest in seeing what's going on in hollywood, and the elites stars within it. I don't want to hear the constant debates about right and wrong everywhere I go. I don't want to hear politics anymore. I don't want to hear about mass shootings anymore. It's become too much. 

And back to social media. It is a toxic place to be. If you're in the public eye for example, don't look at your comments on socials. Because you will want to hate life with the trolls themselves. So much toxic hate everywhere you go. From a facebook comment section, to youtube, to twitter. It's never ending. Twitter I think has some of the worst people out there. The cancel culture is also another thing that really worries me, because it's stifling creativity. It's not helping anything but the people crying about it. 

idk, sorry for the rant. I'm just fed up with how this world is going socially. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It doesn't help either that to social cues have shifted so much to being about "self-importance". There is so much value it defining everything about yourself now so it is just encouraging people to reach further and further to stand out. My friend's daughter showed my one of those TikTok videos of a girl, must be around 14 (her age) and talks about changing her gender several times a week. Sometimes she is a she/her, other times a he/his, or a they/them... How can people even keep up with this!? 

• Like 1