Would you be friends with someone who's got schizophrenia or is sociopath?

Lana

Would you ever be friends with someone who might be a schizophrenic or a sociopath? I think one of my friends is a sociopath, because he jokes about everything, even really dark stuff. But, he does have a respectful and good side to him. I just feel he might be a sociopath because there are times where he doesn't show emotions about certain things. 

Idk, would you ever be friends with someone who has either or?

• Like 1

It would have to depend on the severity of their condition and how they act. If they are fine and don't show any issues with their illness, I'm fine too. But if they are to the point of threatening you I won't be able to. 

8 minutes ago, James said:

It would really depend on how extreme it is. I do not think I have any in my circle. Just like anything else though if its channeled properly it may not be all bad. 

That's the thing though, with certain illnesses, I think a sociopath can pretend to be normal to fit in. So we may have family and friends who are dealing with such things and we may never know. 

• Like 1

Honestly I don't know. I've met people that claimed to have schizophrenia and heard voices and such, but they were otherwise perfectly normal and capable of day to day life. But I guess their brain just plays tricks on them, idk. As with a sociopath though, I think they are more in line with someone who has less emotions. Maybe someone has no emotions, doesn't feel love or is unable to express it. Or thinks bad thoughts and thinks about harming others, etc. 

I think there are functioning sociopaths, ones who have the horrible thoughts, but don't act on them. I just think they are the smart ones, who understand that those thoughts are bad, and will never act on them. But who knows, I'm no mental health expert myself. 

• Like 1

Well, schizophrenia can be managed and in some cases is not very severe. I went to school with someone who had it and he was mostly like everyone else, he just had trouble with his mind getting too focused on certain things. I have no issues with that but a sociopath? No way. I wouldn't want to be friends with a narcissist either. 

• Like 1