How do you keep your marriage healthy?

Sophia

I know this is not a typical question people ask but it is something I think that is very important, especially for younger couples. My husband and I have been married for 4.5 years now and it still feels like we got married just a few months back. I think this is down to having a healthy friendship. So when the lust goes up and down and we can't find that kind of common ground, we still have each other and we love each other's company, even if it is just sitting in silence at our computers in the office. 

That being said, how do you keep your marriage healthy? If you are not married you can chime in about keeping your relationship with your boyfriend/girlfriend/partner healthy as well!

I have been married now for 15 years. Been with that same lady for 20 years. I wont lie we have had our ups and downs but we have always been able to work through the challenges as a team. 

When I quit working the best full time job I ever had 11 years ago to start working for myself she told me that was not something I could do. I have always been one to follow my dreams so I did it. Things worked out but it rocky there for a little bit as I went from working 45-50 hours a week up to working 100+ hours a week to get my enterprise off the ground. 

I think in our entire history that was the only time I did not have the support of my wife but no one person was not going to allow me to chase my dreams. Our roles became better defined in that moment. I could not have done any of this without her support on the other side. I understand it was hard on her all that stress of me giving up medical benefits for the family, and a good paying job I could have done the rest of my life. 

Fast forward to present day she is so happy I took that jump. Pain is temporary. We worked through it and we continue to work through life as a team. The important thing is to be honest with each other. Do not let things build up into an explosion and always have clear expectations from both parties. 

How do others accomplish the goal of staying with their loved ones for years upon years :). 

If kids are involved, you make sure they are a priority but not at the expense of losing yourself or your partner. A lot of friends and family fall into the trap of losing each other after kids so I think it is important to make sure you keep that friendship and the romance doing, even if you don't do it day in and day out. Outside of that, the small things mean the most. Pay compliments, buy small gifts for one another, take the time to just send them a text to tell them you are thinking about them. It means more than people realize! 

• Like 1