Thrift stores good things to start up?

I am honestly thinking of starting my own thrift store. I probably have a house full of stuff I can seed into the business, and I do need to sell stuff. Has anyone here ever tried their hands at running a thrift shop? I know junk and I bet I could make a pretty penny doing this. 😄 

• Like 1

I have never opened up a real thrift shop but my wife wanted to try her hand at selling second hand children's clothing at one point. So we gave it a run where we found our supplies at garage sales and then sold the clothing on eBay. We were able to run at around break even once we factored in all the time sourcing took. 

It definitely is a viable business model. Just have to be good on the buying side to make sure you are getting a good deal and understand what the retail value of the products are. 

Someone I know, a friend of a friend, she does this. Started out as a garage sale believe it or not! She was doing a once a month garage sale and helping people int he area sell their used items. It was mostly clothing , shoes, purses, and things like that. She got the idea to rent out a small space when we realized she wasn't going to be able to do this in the winter. It ended up becoming a full time thing for her. She will buy used items off people and sell them for a slight mark-up. I think it is a wonderful idea if you can manage it!

• Like 1

I always liked thrift stores and in the right area, you could easily make a killing! It doesn't take much to start up either. You can find filler by asking for donated items from your friends and family to help fill things out or buy items from the Goodwill when they have a major markdown and then just charge a buck or two more than what you spent. 

• Like 1