Dealing with overly sensitive people?

Stacey

A friend of mine introduced a new gal into our group, a work friend. She is a nice person but she is VERY sensitive. Like not in the sense that she is always crying or easily hurt but rather easily offended. I think her like a very liberal Karen. She almost has the desire to be offended on other people's behalf and constantly brings up women's rights, skin color, and other social issues I am not trying to constantly think about. There is a time and a place for that stuff but it is almost 24/7 with her. And she talks about politics in general without even understanding them. I don't want to be rude or mean cause like I said, she is a nice person she just can't read the room or realize most people in our group don't want to talk about that stuff all the time. 

Have you ever just flat out told her, you're not interested in talking about politics? Sometimes you gotta just say it, and let them know to calm it down. When I hang out with friends, I don't want to talk politics. 

If she keeps going on about it, put her in her place. Who cares if she is sensitive, if she can't take debating, then she shouldn't be talking about politics. 

Yeah sometimes people just do not get the passive beating around the bush angle. They need to be told directly. Setting ground rules for when you are all together would be a good thing to do then you can lay out the rules for topics that can be discussed and what sensitive areas may be. It almost sounds like she wants to debate. If you want to dish it you have to be able to take it. 

Yeah I agree with what the others said, just tell her like it is. If she is worth having as a friend, she won't get offended by it... But based on what you have said, she likely will! I think she likely just doesn't have any other outlet for this kind of talk. You can take baby steps and ask her if she considered joining any local political groups or online clubs to talk about this stuff. If that don't work, just say you are not interested. For me, in most cases, politics is a private issue. I will talk about it with really close friends or family but only on topics and issues I know about and even then, I seldom touch on it.

• Like 1