Does believing in a higher power lead to a more fulfilled life?

Stacey

I always wondered this. I tend to see people who believe in God or some form of God as being happier in life vs those who believe in nothing beyond what they can see, hear, taste, smell, and touch. I am not sure what I am at this point. I guess I would be considered agnostic because I do believe in God, just not sure in what context. 

• Like 2

I think that depends on the person. Because I've known many people who don't believe in a higher power, and they're happy. I myself, don't believe in a higher power, and I'm okay with that. I think it makes life more important that way, because it's our one and only life, and we need to make it count.

Religion can save people as well. It has its pros and cons just like with being a nonbeliever. Religious people sometimes get reincarnation, or get to go to heaven. We can't prove that happens when we die. But, that's something for them to believe in, and hope that life somehow goes on after we die. Life does go on, just not ours. 

• Like 1

I think it does because of the value system you are living by. If you have not rooted yourself in some kind of values in how you are going to make your decisions you are going to feel lost. When you feel like you are serving a greater purpose something larger then you it makes you fill fulfilled. 

I myself am not a very religious guy but my wife and kids are pretty into the full thing. I really support it because I do think we are here to serve a purpose greater then our own. 

A lot of people I have met that do not believe and have not figured out "why" they are here struggle to find meaning for their lives and it just feels like and endless grind. 

Believing in something outside yourself and outside your inherit wisdom certainly does help in life. I believe in God and I talk to him. I will ask him for help if I need it, thank him for blessings in my life, and I will give credit to him with a "thank God!" often in passive talk. I like to think that we have freewill but if we allow God to have access to our hearts, he can work miracles. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 2:45 AM, Stacey said:

I always wondered this. I tend to see people who believe in God or some form of God as being happier in life vs those who believe in nothing beyond what they can see, hear, taste, smell, and touch. I am not sure what I am at this point. I guess I would be considered agnostic because I do believe in God, just not sure in what context. 

Yes sure, believing that there is a supreme being out there, helps you to sub-consciously handle issues that are beyond your control. Like the serenity prayer, God will handle the things that you believe are humanly impossible to handle. That way you will remain motivated that all is well, or that all is being taken care of somehow. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 10:02 AM, Xavier MG said:

Yes sure, believing that there is a supreme being out there, helps you to sub-consciously handle issues that are beyond your control. Like the serenity prayer, God will handle the things that you believe are humanly impossible to handle. That way you will remain motivated that all is well, or that all is being taken care of somehow. 

This makes a lot of sense. Our brains are very complex and I don't even feel they are truly understood to the fullest capacity yet. It seems like there is better understanding of things with the human body in the spiritual/mental state than the physical one as well. Science is just catching up!

• Like 1