Do you think it is still hard to be part of an interracial couple today?

Sophia

I was thinking about how it was when I was growing up. I had friend who dated whoever and we didn't think about race or anything but I grew up in a nice area where everyone was basically on level footing in terms of income and stuff. There really wasn't any major cultural gaps or anything. When I talk to other people though, even people younger than me, they say how hard it was for them or someone they knew to be in a relationship with someone outside their race. They talk about people judging them, family being unhappy with them, and so on. Do you think it is still hard to be in this kind of relationship today?

I would think it would be more accepted today then it was 20 years ago. 

Very strange people are having those experiences. 

Do we have any people out there in interracial relationships that can tell us about their experiences? 

Yeah it's a lot more accepted these days than it was even 10 years ago. Sadly, there are still people who are backwards and think it's bad that a white person and a black person date. That's just an example. 

I think for the most part, the only ones complaining are the elderly who aren't accepting of it, and maybe uneducated adults who think their views are more correct or right than others. 

I'm just happy that people aren't fussing as much about it. Soon enough it'll be less and less people complaining. 

• Like 1

I work with a mixed race woman who is, I think 33. She said that she grew up being bullied by both black and white girls. I think this is the issue that people face these days and it is mostly with girls, not boys. I see a lot of black women who are jealous and envious of lighter skinned women who still have those desirable black ethnic features (curvy, plump lips, thick hair, etc.). I also see white women who are jealous of mixed women as well because they have beautiful tan skin and age better.  So to me, it is more of an issue for girls growing up mixed race than it is for actual interracial couples these days. Most people don't care who you date. 

• Like 1