Why do so many people get out of debt to only end up back in debt a few years later?

Ella

Everyone I have known to have filed for bankruptcy has ended up back in debt within 3 years of filing and I can't figure out why this happens. Outside of carelessness and just lack of trying, what causes people to continue this pattern of debt? Some have managed to pay their way out without filing but I would say 70% of people still end up back in debt. What is going on with this picture? 

• Like 1

Bankruptcy does not fix the problem that caused the situation in the first place. 

It is the same as getting gastric bypass surgery done for a lot of people. They end up gaining weight again in the long run. 

So back to bankruptcy...

People need to change what put them in that situation in the first place. The problem with safety nets for people is they treat the symptoms but not the cause. You have to treat the cause if you want real change. 

• Like 1

This reminds me of standard healthcare in America. They don't treat the issue, they suppress the symptoms! This is what these people are doing with their finances. They are throwing a band-aid over them and calling it a day. The issue with this is that it doesn't fix the issue and if it happens more than two times, the person almost becomes dependent on the bailout that the bankruptcy provides. 

• Like 1