How do you deal with a sales slump?

Carson

As in when you had a lot of sales at one point, and then the sales just fall off. Has that ever happened to you? A friend of mine recently made a product and tried to sell it. She was able to promote it fine, but after the day 1 sales started, they slowed down nearly right away. It was like the people interested showed up, bought it, and that was it. She got a few sales throughout the day, but it was slow. 

Anyway, has it ever happened to you?

• Like 1

I have had this happen when I used to make stuff and sell it online. I would get decent sales that would suddenly drop off in a few days. Then I would have to promote everything again. I ended up spending most of my earnings on ad space and that is when I decided to quit doing it all together. 

• Like 1

You have to manage your spending when this happens. Like if you over-invest like Scarlett did, you will end up losing money or only breaking even. It is hard to do though when it just happens at random and you can't figure out what is causing it.

• Like 1

It is all about managing capital. There are a lot of seasonal products out there that only sell during certain times of year. 

You can try expanding your product range to include more seasons of products. Things can always be hard if you are selling a product that does not have a consumable to go along with it. A one off purchase is hard to build a business around as you always need to find more people to buy the product. 

If you can focus on a product that consumes another product then you can help even out your sales as the consumable product will always need to be purchased. 

It is always better to look at a larger subset of data too if you have it to find out if there really is a slump or not (seasonality can always be a cause).