How To Overcome Fear Of Writing

TopicStarter

Ellen Hendriksen said it right “We are each our own worst critic.” More often than not, we are too harsh on our writing. This is not only bad for your self-esteem but can take a toll on your growth as a writer too.

The fear of writing manifests itself in the form of procrastination and can stop you from writing anything new altogether. When you’re too fixated on the final outcome, you stop enjoying the process and take away the prospect of learning from the mistakes. 

Writing is a form of art and should not be imposed with unrealistic expectations, even if you do it for a living. However, it is easier said than done, and being a writer, I often find myself in the same boat. 

Here are a few tips for dealing with the fear of writing, and I sincerely hope that these suggestions will help you out:

#1 Plunge right into it: if you find yourself putting off writing projects often, take a deeper look and try to identify the fear underlying that procrastination. Instead of striving for an idealistic scenario of perfectionism, just dive right into it without thinking. 

#2 Write as if nobody’s reading: this is one of the most played-out bits of advice but is truly effective if you apply it. Convince yourself that nobody’s going to read what you write and go about it candidly. Your true talent shines when you write free-mindedly, without focusing on others’ judgment and validation.

But I suggest critiquing your work objectively once you are done pouring it out on the paper. A combination of carefree writing and hawk-eyed editing will help you a lot in the long run.

#3 Practice: the best and most efficient way to overcome writing fears is by practicing day in and day out. Once you get used to the process, your inner critic will tone down its judgments, making it easier for you to write. Also, try writing on random topics or daily prompts to develop versatility as a writer. 

#4 Have faith in yourself: it’s crucial to believe in yourself and have the right amount of confidence. If you hate every bit and piece you write, it is likely a sign of deep-rooted low self-esteem. Try to count your achievements and trust the process. With a balanced appreciation-to-critique approach, you’ll be able to overcome your fear of writing sooner than expected.

Have you ever had to overcome a fear of writing? What steps were helpful for you? 

• Like 1