Watching what you say around people

Justin89

This day and age social media puts you out there everywhere. One thing you said 10 years ago, can come back to haunt you. But these days, if you're caught saying anything bad, you risk getting cancelled. In the past I have said things I no longer agree with, said things I wouldn't say now, and said things I cringe at. But I don't think we should weigh ourselves down by our past actions. 

But, have you ever had issues with watching what you say around people in recent years? I think for me, I just try not to bring up anything political, because that's when people start to get a fight going. I used to say dumb things when I was a kid and teen, and looking back I realized I was an utter idiot, but I wouldn't want that to destroy my life later on. 

Do you think people should be cancelled for the past things they've said?

This is why I don't bother with social media. I never say things with the intention of hurting someone but I know something I said could be found offensive in a few years by someone somewhere. I felt like when I was still on social media platforms, I would spend too much time thinking about what to say that it wasn't even being true to myself. I couldn't enjoy it. I actually deleted all my posts on Twitter using a plugin and wipes my profile. I didn't want to close it outright and have someone else use my @ and get me in trouble in the future. 

Yeah, unfortunately people are offended about everything, and a thing you say out of context years ago could mean you losing a job or potential advancement elsewhere. So you really have play it safe pretty much all the time. And especially in public, because one outburst could mean you going viral online. 

But, I think we really can't do a whole lot about what we say and did in the past. Sometimes we just have to own up to it. 

I do not think the cancelling of ideas should ever happen. It is the free flow of ideas that help a group of people find the middle ground. When we start silencing one side of an argument and no one gets exposed to different angles all the opinions start to align with the side being pushed. We should welcome ideas that contradict our own and welcome people challenging the way we think. It is the only way to grow. 

People are very sensitive it seems. I remember when sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me mantra from elementary school. It can be tricky to navigate a conversation and be yourself if you are worried about offending. Especially if you are a person that has strong opinions. 

On 8/21/2021 at 2:55 AM, Justin89 said:

This day and age social media puts you out there everywhere. One thing you said 10 years ago, can come back to haunt you. But these days, if you're caught saying anything bad, you risk getting cancelled. In the past I have said things I no longer agree with, said things I wouldn't say now, and said things I cringe at. But I don't think we should weigh ourselves down by our past actions. 

But, have you ever had issues with watching what you say around people in recent years? I think for me, I just try not to bring up anything political, because that's when people start to get a fight going. I used to say dumb things when I was a kid and teen, and looking back I realized I was an utter idiot, but I wouldn't want that to destroy my life later on. 

Do you think people should be cancelled for the past things they've said?

I don't think it is good to judge someone's character based on the past. Because as someone grows up, he changes and circumstances also changes. People become more sensitive and wiser as they grow. So what they said when they were young or in certain different circumstances should not be used against them in future. But generally, people should be keen on what they say. They should actually watch what they say online because the internet never forgets. 

• Like 1