At what point do you think people CAN'T change?

Mila

I always see things about people changing for the better but rarely, people address at what point a person just can't. I think it depends on what they need to change and how old they are and how experienced they are in their ways. I am curious to see what people here think about the topic though.

• Like 1

I live life by people do not change. 

The above statement though has been proven false to me quite a few times. I have slowly started changing it to a majority of people do not change. 

We all slowly change overtime as our wisdom continues to grow but at our roots our values remain the same. I think I have proven to myself though that even I was able to change if I wanted something badly enough. 

I was tired of being fat and lazy. So I added fitness to the routine and never looked back. So I was able to change the way I live. My views and opinions though are still the same or maybe even a little more hardcore then before. Now I can not stand to listen to excuses about not working out. I know it's really as easy as just doing it. 

I have employed people that used to be drug addicts and have seen most of them hold on to a sober lifestyle. I always have in the back of my mind though it is one life altering thing that can happen that will send them back to the bad path. 

I used to be an alcoholic and I wont say I never think about having a drink. So the urge is still there... It is still something I think about and I have not had a drink in over 5 years now. 

It's a hard topic to think about because in the end we know that if you want something bad enough you can change to get the thing you desire. It's just how do you handle it when you get there? Is it true change if we have to constantly remind ourselves it's something we do not want to do? The never ending battle that we need to have with ourselves to make sure change sticks.  

I think there is always a chance someone can change, but there are people who are given chance after chance, and still it is as if they can't change. So, I'm a mix of 50/50 on this. Because there are many who can easily change, either it be their diet, their attitudes, their habits, etc. But there are some who are stuck and are unable to get out, even with help. 

I've met addicts who try and try to break their habits, but always fall back into it. You really have to go by someone's character. You'll know when someone is capable of changing themselves, and sometimes you can't change them all. 

• Like 1