How To Overcome Hesitation

TopicStarter

Sometimes fear is harmless and quite useful, too. For instance, when you notice someone following you in a dark alley, it’s the sense of fear that triggers fast action which can actually save lives.

However, when we start fearing our future, our choices, or something that may never happen- that’s when it causes hesitation. More often than not, the feeling of hesitation lingers for longer than necessary, which further escalates to anxiety, demotivation, stress, and so on.

Thus, it is important to curb hesitation if you want to achieve your goals. Here are some ways that can help:

#1. Accept Your Emotions: The only way to get over hesitation is by acknowledging it in the first place. It’s okay to be shy, uncertain, doubtful- it’s only human! I recommend writing down your thoughts, no matter how dark they are. Writing down your fears is the first step to facing them and, eventually, conquering them.

Start by writing about what’s on your mind and how it’s causing hesitation. Mostly, hesitation is the fear of the outcome. So, ask yourself, “What is the worst that can happen?” and, “How will it affect me?” Once you recognize the exact cause of fear, only then will you be able to find effective solutions to tackle it.

#2. Set Your Goals: Writing down your goals and ways to achieve them will help visualize your future plans better. Now, life doesn’t always go according to plan. However, having some control and idea about the future helps let go of the hesitation that’s stopping you from getting that promotion!

But remember to keep your goals realistic. You can’t give yourself a year to be listed under Forbes’ “30 under 30,” but you can very well start your own business or bag a scholarship. So, be specific and practical.  

#3. Take It Easy: In a world where everyone is out there hustling, it’s easy to compare yourself with others and feel self-conscious. But, I’ll tell you a secret- nobody cares! Well, not as much as you do. Messed up a speech in front of your class? Missed a beat while dancing on stage? Everyone is going to forget about it in five minutes.

So, the next time you feel nervous about what the future holds, take a deep breath, play some music, or go for a walk. In fact, physical activities are proven to be great stress-busters.

What are some methods you use to overcome hesitation?

Thank you. This is very well put. Clear and to the point. On setting goals, i will just add that once you have set your goals, you should break them down into even smaller achievable chunks or activities that you can easily do in a short period. That will motivate you to do them and move you closer to your bigger goal.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TopicStarter said:

Sometimes fear is harmless and quite useful, too. For instance, when you notice someone following you in a dark alley, it’s the sense of fear that triggers fast action which can actually save lives.

However, when we start fearing our future, our choices, or something that may never happen- that’s when it causes hesitation. More often than not, the feeling of hesitation lingers for longer than necessary, which further escalates to anxiety, demotivation, stress, and so on.

Thus, it is important to curb hesitation if you want to achieve your goals. Here are some ways that can help:

#1. Accept Your Emotions: The only way to get over hesitation is by acknowledging it in the first place. It’s okay to be shy, uncertain, doubtful- it’s only human! I recommend writing down your thoughts, no matter how dark they are. Writing down your fears is the first step to facing them and, eventually, conquering them.

Start by writing about what’s on your mind and how it’s causing hesitation. Mostly, hesitation is the fear of the outcome. So, ask yourself, “What is the worst that can happen?” and, “How will it affect me?” Once you recognize the exact cause of fear, only then will you be able to find effective solutions to tackle it.

#2. Set Your Goals: Writing down your goals and ways to achieve them will help visualize your future plans better. Now, life doesn’t always go according to plan. However, having some control and idea about the future helps let go of the hesitation that’s stopping you from getting that promotion!

But remember to keep your goals realistic. You can’t give yourself a year to be listed under Forbes’ “30 under 30,” but you can very well start your own business or bag a scholarship. So, be specific and practical.  

#3. Take It Easy: In a world where everyone is out there hustling, it’s easy to compare yourself with others and feel self-conscious. But, I’ll tell you a secret- nobody cares! Well, not as much as you do. Messed up a speech in front of your class? Missed a beat while dancing on stage? Everyone is going to forget about it in five minutes.

So, the next time you feel nervous about what the future holds, take a deep breath, play some music, or go for a walk. In fact, physical activities are proven to be great stress-busters.

What are some methods you use to overcome hesitation?

This is a great post. I love how you have summarized it. I will add that i also use the 5 Second Rule By Mel Robbins to help me do what am supposed to do and avoid procrastination or hesitation. This rule says, when you want to do something, just count down from 5...4..3...2...1....Go! This has helped me do a lot of stuff that i was putting away and waiting for motivation to do them. You should just get yourself to start working on it, and you will find motivation while working on it. Motivation is the fuel that will help you continue working on the task. But you need to trick or trigger your mind into taking action. 

• Like 1

True. Fear often leads to lost oppportunities. As we put someting away for the fear that we may not do it right. Point #3 sums it up very well. We need to get ourselves back on track and look take it easy. Fighting anxiety and the acompanying fear is overwhelming, but it something that we have to do in order to get ourselve on track. 

• Like 1