How To Overcome Identity Crisis

TopicStarter

Depression, loss of ambition, irritability, and exhaustion - going through an identity crisis can completely alter your life and foster a feeling of emptiness.

But remember, if you are going through a period in life that’s chiefly defined by uncertainty and anxiety, you’re not alone! That lingering feeling of being “lost” is one I’ve often experienced. Akin to being stuck in a dark abyss, you’re left to question everything you’ve so far known or believed in. 

If you have been questioning your worth, identity, or beliefs, there are ways to overcome these overwhelming feelings. Like I always say, you don’t have to be stuck in a loop of self-loathing and doubt as long as you can exert some influence over the mind. 

Quoting John Milton, “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.” So, if you put your mind to it, it is easy to overcome mighty obstacles and personal conflicts. 

Here’s my advice on how you can overcome an identity crisis:

#1 Acknowledge The Problem: The first step towards overcoming any situation is to acknowledge what has been bothering you. Is it a divorce, a traumatic experience, losing a loved one, or problems at work? Whatever be the cause, identifying it is half the battle won. 

#2 Spend Time With Yourself: It is crucial to look inwards and determine how you want to move forward. Explore your hobbies, values, shortcomings, and struggles. 

Moreover, ask yourself some tough questions about the situation you are in and what’s the best way out. I understand you might not have the answer to all these questions, but try writing your thoughts in a diary or journal. 

#3 Reach Out To People: It is crucial to have a strong support network and actively reach out to them. Express your feelings, listen to their feedback, and try to get a better perspective on life. 

While some people might be more comfortable with friends and family, there are support groups and social clubs that can help you overcome feelings of uncertainty and self-doubt. 

#4 Meditate: Going through an identity crisis is a harrowing experience, and you can feel anxious, sad, and lethargic. In such cases, I have found that regular meditation helps promote peace of mind. Therefore, you should channel your energy towards meditation and exercising. 

#5 Seek Professional Help: A licensed counselor can help you get to the root of the problem and overcome it. So, seek professional help without hesitation when needed. 

What are some methods you have used to overcome an identity crisis?

• Like 1