Has anyone here been able to stay ahead of the debt?

StanleyZEN

2 Years ago I completed my goal of having zero interest bearing debt in my personal life. I finally paid off my mortgage against the advise of so many people. Yes I still use credit cards but just to manage day to day activity and to get my cashback rewards. A balance never gets to the point of having a interest charge hit the credit card. I do use debt in our personal life in a smart way though still but make sure I always have the cash to cover the expense. 

So we purchased my wife a new car last year. Ford was offering 0% interest. So we picked that up and I just invested the total value of the car with the cash that was going to be used to pay for the car. I am pretty sure I can beat the 0% rate and I also know that if anything bad were to happen the capital is there to cover the car. 

Not having to worry about making a mortgage payment though and thinking about what rock bottom looks like when you have no debt is a great feeling. Knowing that I could live with any minimum wage job and still live in my home is very freeing. 

I am a strong advocate of living a debt free life and staying within your means. It keeps you away from having to be a corporate slave and gives you options about how you want to live your life instead of that being a risky endeavor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had debts. Some of those I paid off, others I had to ride out and let fall off my record because it was already too late to make a difference. As of now, I have 2 credit cards and I seldom use them. I am almost too afraid to be in a position where debt is chasing my every financial decision.  

• Like 1

Yes, i am still working my way out of debts, but since last year, i developed a formula that works perfect form. It is all about your mindset. 

I adopted a strategy from Brian Tracy's "Get Out of Debt". I realized i was spending more than i earn! That was forcing me to always be in debts. I resolved to change that and practiced frugality for the last 12 moths. I stated slowly be saving 1% of my income and using 99%. Today, i save up to 20% of my income and still live a decent life. By only doing that, i now have 6 months of saving. I can stay for 6 months without income and still maintain my current lifestyle. 

• Like 1