Buying stock in a popular sports team

Rachel

Does anyone know if it's worth it to invest into a popular sports team or organization by buying stock in it? I wouldn't mind buying stock for some popular brands and companies. But I would also like to invest in my favorite sports teams. I know the Green Bay Packers have allowed fans to buy stock on their team, and I would love to buy stock in some teams myself. 

Is it worth doing though?

There are not many teams that you can invest in. Most are privately owned. 

Yes the Green Bay Packers are an example of a publicly owned NFL franchise but the value of stock does not increase and there are no dividends paid so it really is not money working for you. The stock is not tied to revenue and is pretty much just memorabilia for the fans. 

Here a couple I found that you can invest in and have them on a market where value goes up and down. 

Manchester United FC - MANU has been trading on the NYSE since 2012.

NBAs New York Knicks, NHLs New York Rangers, and Madison Square Garden Sports corps eSport business can be invested in via - MSGS.

Liberty Braves Group holds MLBs Atlanta Braves - BATRK

• Like 1

Yeah I was going to say the same as James, there aren't many options. I never would have thought to do something like this personally though, especially not now with how political sports in the US have become. Most of my family don't even watch them anymore outside of the MLB. Even then, you have people demanding logos and names be changed which is erasing history. Oh well! 

• Like 1