How should one deal with their student loan debt?

Brenden

I've had student loan debt since early 2013 or so. And it's been a rough time ever since. Do you guys have any tips on how to get out of student loan debt? Are there any programs through the government or somewhere stateside? I live in Florida currently, so if there is any state funded help I can use, I would love to hear about it. 

Thanks! 🙂

My wife and I built up a ton of student loan debt as we went through school. When we were done we just picked one of our loans and started paying it down. We focused on the highest interest loans first and just kept paying. To accelerate the process I went out and took on another job so we could get the debt paid off rapidly. 

I know there has been a lot of noise lately about programs and help for people that are having trouble with their student debt but I have never looked into them and can not provide any guidance in that direction. 

This looks like a great resource for student loan forgiveness: https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation

It is a lot of work but you need to just pick a lane and tackle it head on. It is not going to go anywhere and there are no programs that will forgive it. You will have to focus on paying your debts. This is why I wish people were more honest and open with cost and realistic expectations when signing on for college. A lot of 18 year olds just feel they need to go and don't have any plan or any clue on how they will pay back their debts. My brother ended up this way. He still owes over 40k. I think hos total cost was just over 100k for 5 years, which is nuts! 

• Like 1