How To Overcome Learning Disabilities

TopicStarter

Have you ever felt inadequate while watching a Korean movie because the subtitles were moving too fast and you couldn’t understand? Well, that’s how people with learning disabilities feel every day in their lives. 

Learning new things is heaps of fun, but it is an uphill task for those with learning disabilities. First off, let us tell you that learning disabilities aren’t something to be ashamed of, and you’re not alone because plenty of people experience this. 

However, there isn’t a silver bullet to overcome learning disabilities. But, with love, support, and encouragement, anyone can develop the confidence to keep going even in dire straits. 

Poor nutrition, premature birth, genetic causes - anything can lead to learning disabilities. Those looking for ways to help their child overcome such disabilities must remember to be patient with them. Your support will prepare them for the challenging situations that life will throw at them. 

Here’s some advice on how to overcome learning disabilities:

#1 Seek a therapist: One of the best pieces of advice my teacher gave to me was to seek help from the experts. A therapist will help you develop specific techniques which will improve your academic, organizational, and even communication skills. And it helped me improve a lot. 

#2 Perseverance is the key: Even after seeking therapy, there might be instances where you’d find certain things challenging. And so, patience and perseverance is the key to success! Set short and long-term goals for yourself and stay focused to meet them. 

#3 Identify your passion: You don’t have to be good at all things, instead, you can be great at one - that’s what my father said. If you aren’t good at learning, you could be good at writing, reading, sports, or anything. Identify your area of interest and pursue that - it will help you excel in other things as well. 

#4 Maintain a healthy lifestyle: To remain focused, you need to maintain a healthy lifestyle. For that, you need to make sure you eat healthy food and sleep at least 7 - 8 hours. Also, exercising regularly will reduce your anxiety which will thereby improve your self-esteem. If you don’t enjoy exercising, I suggest you give it a try at least once.

#5 Take care of your mental health: At some point or the other, you might experience anxiety, anger, stress, frustration, and self-doubt. And so, I suggest you talk to a friend, your family members, or a mental health professional. They’ll listen to your thoughts and will help you deal with stress. 

Have you had to overcome a learning disability? What steps did you take to work through it? 

• Like 1