Pre-built houses a bad idea?

Mickey

There is a such thing as pre-built houses, as in houses that are like a lego set. You get the materials, and you build it yourself. I know Amazon and some other sites sell pre-built houses, but they've been a thing since like the 1900s or something. 

Are pre-built houses made of good material? Would you buy a pre-built house to install on land you own? 

• Like 1

Talking about modular homes? 

They are made off site and pieced together on the lot like lego. They are fine. Of course it is not going to be as solid as cinderblock construction. 

My wife and I have considered them over the years but never pulled the trigger to get one. There is something that makes me nervous enough I have not invested in one as a rental yet either. Maybe I just really like homes made out of cinderblock or framed construction. 

I know I would not do it myself if I did buy one. That is not within in my skill set of something I would trust myself to do. 

They should have a lifespan of 40 - 60 years if properly maintained. So that is not to bad :). 

Modular homes are a lot better now than they once were. Most states have zoning laws though so you have to make sure you have land where it is acceptable to be built. I have considered going this route. I am just not sure what would be cheaper at this point. Buying a house or buying a plot of land. I think the process of hooking up everything and wanting a basement will make it cost the same amount if not more. 

• Like 1