How To Overcome Fear Of Vomiting

TopicStarter

Fear of vomiting, also known as emetophobia in medical terms, is a condition that many people worldwide deal with. People with this phobia can’t stand the idea of feeling sick and are in constant fear of vomiting. So, if you are suffering from this issue, relax, as there are ways to overcome it. 

Firstly, you need to acknowledge that you have a problem and stop feeling shameful about it. Maybe you have had some unsettling experiences in the past with vomiting, which led to this issue. And now you are in constant fear of being sick and embarrassing yourself in front of friends. 

Avoiding social situations, eating disorders, depression and self-harm - there are a slew of things that fear of vomiting can lead to, making your life miserable. So, I suggest you take the required steps to keep this phobia in check. 

Understand that the fear of vomiting can’t be dealt with overnight; it is a process, which will take time depending on the severity of your condition. Here are a few steps that you can take to overcome the fear of vomiting. 

#1 Consider taking medications: even though medications will not make the fear go away completely, they will reduce the symptoms of panic and anxiety to a great extent, thereby helping you overcome it. Meaning, you should see a doctor as soon as possible. 

#2 Exposure therapy: according to various studies, one of the most effective treatments for overcoming fears is to undergo exposure therapy. In exposure therapy, you gradually expose yourself to the phobia of vomiting. 

But don’t worry; a therapist will guide you all the way through the process. They will give you techniques to cope with the panic and anxiety during the entire process. 

In this case, your therapy might include eating out in restaurants or working out heavily at the gym until you feel slightly nauseous. I know it sounds a bit too much, but trust me, it works like a charm in the treatment of emetophobia. 

#3 Be honest: I understand that it is not easy as there is a lot of stigma and embarrassment attached to emetophobia, but you need to be honest about your situation. When you are honest with people, you get all the love and support to overcome the fear of vomiting. Not to mention, surrounding yourself with loved ones will provide the necessary support and determination to deal with any problem. 

Have you ever had to overcome a fear of vomiting? What steps helped you get through it? 

• Like 1